We’re proud to announce that Quality Forum 2020 is Patients Included.
This means that we “committed to incorporating the experience of patients as experts in living with their condition while ensuring they are neither excluded nor exploited.”
For more information, visit the Patients Included website.
The Patients Included status is self-assessed and based on meeting all five of the charter’s clauses:
Patients or caregivers with experience relevant to the conference’s central theme actively participate in the design and planning of the event, including the selection of themes, topics and speakers.
- The Quality Forum’s steering committee features two patient partners.
Patients or caregivers with experience of the issues addressed by the event participate in its delivery, and appear in its physical audience.
- Many patients partners who attend the event are invited to moderate sessions.
- Patients partners are also invited to submit rapid fire presentation and storyboard abstracts.
- Patients partners present in hour-long breakout sessions.
Travel and accommodation expenses for patients or carers participating in the advertised programme are paid in full, in advance. Scholarships are provided by the conference organisers to allow patients or carers affected by the relevant issues to attend as delegates.
- Through the Patient Voices Network, the Council facilitates the attendance of 20 patient partners at the Quality Forum, including having registration, travel and accommodation expenses paid in full, in advance. If you are not currently a PVN Patient Partner but are interested in engagement opportunities supported by the Network, sign up here or contact your local engagement leader. You can also read about the experiences of some of our previously sponsored patient partners here or on the PVN blog.
- In addition, the Forum’s registration fees are kept low in hopes of limiting the affect that cost may have on people’s ability to attend the event. Discounted hotel room rates are also secured for participants.
- We encourage our health care partners to support patient partners who have been engaged in their work. If you are a patient partner who has worked on a project with a health care partner, we suggest that you submit an abstract together.
The disability requirements of participants are accommodated. All applicable sessions, breakouts, ancillary meetings, and other programme elements are open to patient delegates.
- The Forum will be being held at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, which features accessible rooms and provides assistive devices. For specific questions, please contact the hotel.
Access for virtual participants is facilitated, with free streaming video provided online wherever possible.
- Videos from the Forum’s plenary presentations and debate will be uploaded to YouTube.
- Health Talks presentations, the Forum’s plenary presentations and a selection of breakout sessions will be streamed live.
- The hashtag #QF20 will be actively promoted prior to and during the event across social media so that participants, as well as those unable to attend the event, can join the conversation and discuss presentations, key learning, etc.
- The Forum will obtain as many presentation and storyboard files from speakers as possible and will host them on its website for free viewing and downloading.
We encourage all health care conferences and events to achieve Patients Included status – including those that we sponsor and support. Visit the Patients Included website to learn more.
If you have any questions, please contact us at QualityForum@bcpsqc.ca or 604.668.8254.